PLEASE READ THIS 4 TIMES, INSTRUCTIONS ARE VERY IMPORTANT
Cancellation and rescheduling policy:
Please note, we care about you and thus we perform your procedure only on the date you have selected. Please be considerate when rescheduling. Please give us at least 2 weeks ( 14 days notice) for cancellations and rescheduling. It is almost impossible to fill the day because patients must do at least 2 weeks of scalp exercise. Cancellations or rescheduling less than 2 weeks result in the loss of the 10% discount.
Please follow all instructions carefully. If you have any questions please call the office at (310) 829-4291.
FUE Patients: Please note that on the day of the procedure, we would need to shave the back of your scalp. You can get a military style fade haircut 3 days before the procedure. You can wear a baseball hat afterwards.
What you can do to make your transplanted hairs grow out faster: A special protein shake and multi vitamin has been shown to make transplanted hairs grow faster. You can order the shake and vitamin from www.helphair.com. You begin taking it few days before or around the time of your procedure. Take one scoop of the protein shake in the morning and one multi vitamin in the evening.
Please buy ibuprofen before your procedure. You can purchase it from any pharmacy. It will help with discomfort after the procedure.
Dr. Sean would like to see you back in his office the next day .
One Month Before:
- Do not cut your hair short in the back. Leave it at least 1 – 1.5 inches long.
- If you have high blood pressure, please make sure you take your blood pressure medications daily. Ideal blood pressure is between 120-140 (the top number). If your blood pressure is more than 160 on the day of the procedure the case will have to be cancelled.
- If you are going to have the strip procedure, it would be a good idea to have a neck pillow. This can help you sleep better after the procedure and also help out with the scar.
Two weeks before:
- Eliminate the use of aspirin and aspirin containing products (See last page). No advil, motrin or ibuprofen.
- No Vitamin E & multi-vitamins. These contribute to bleeding.
- Discontinue the use of Rogaine.
- Avoid sunburns, overexposure to sun and tanning booths.
- Please allow your hair to grow at least 1/2 inch on the back sides, to hide the suture.
- Begin scalp massage, 15 minutes twice daily (very important). The last few nights, try to do an hour a night. Trust me this is very helpful.
ONE WEEK BEFORE THE PROCEDURE
- Vitamin K (either 100mcg or 125mcg from wholefoods), 3 tablets, three time a day, starting 4 days before the procedure. This is a total of 3,600 mcg of vitamin K , which is not really a lot. This makes the blood thicker so there is less bleeding. In hospital setting 10,000 mcg is given at once to minimize bleeding, so 3,600 over a 4 day period is not a lot. This prevents bruising. Vitamin K can be purchased from wholefoods or other food stores.
- No Alcohol, No Marijuana for one week before the procedure.
- If you take your blood pressure medications, please make sure you take them
- Please do not do heavy exercise the night before.
One Night Before
- Try to have 8 hours of sleep the night before surgery.
- Wash your hair with shampoo the evening and the morning of surgery. If your hair is long, please also use conditioner.
- Do not apply hair spray, mouse or gel.
- You may want to consider a ride to and from the surgery center although you will be able to drive yourself after surgery if you prefer. If you would like some valium and Xanax on the day of the procedure, please arrange for transportation.
- No bus on the day of the procedure.
Day of surgery
- (IMPORTANT) Eat breakfast before coming in, ie bagel and cream cheese or sandwich etc. Fruits are not enough. You will be given medication and it’s important to have a good breakfast. NO Regular Coffee. Decaf is okay.
- (IMPORTANT) If you take blood pressure medication, make sure you take them.
- Remember that you need to wear clothing that buttons down the front. Do not wear a T-shirt, or tight clothing which must be pulled over your head. This may cause hairs to fall out.
- Full payment in guaranteed funds is due on or before the day of surgery. Cashier’s check and credit card only. No personal checks. Personal checks need to be sent in and cleared prior to the procedure.
- Consents for surgery (if not already signed) will be signed on the day of surgery.
- Be relaxed! The procedure is not hard on your system. Our staff will do everything they can to make this a comfortable and pleasant experience.
- An appointment for staple removal will be made for approximately 10 days after surgery.
Important after care instructions
Swimming: No swimming for 3 weeks after the procedure
Dyeing the hair: If you dye your hair, please do so few days before the procedure. You should not dye your hair for 3 weeks afterwards.
Medications: Dr. Behnam plans to give you vicodin for pain. Please inform him a week before your procedure if you develop nausea with vicodin so he can order you a substitute. He also will order you kelfex antibiotics, so if you have allergies to penicillin, please let him know.
Place your hand on the back of your scalp, move it up and down 30 times per minute for 15 minutes. Do this 2 times a day for 2 weeks prior to your surgery.
No Botox or Dysport 6 months prior to eyebrow transplant.
Please bring a black or red T-shirt you can wear during the procedure. Please bring a sweat pant with you.
Things that may delay or prevent your hair from growing:
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes or marijuana may prevent your hair from growing. This is because smoking constricts blood vessels and doesn’t allow oxygen to get to the grafts. So please stop smoking, or significantly cut down.
- Trauma to the scalp: Please be careful. Don’t do anything that can traumatize your grafts, ie surfing, motorcycling, bungee jumping for a while after your hair transplant. In case you fall, these events can damage your hair follicle and prevent them from growing. So, delay these events after your procedure.
- Not taking care of your grafts: Please follow post-op instructions carefully. These will be provided on the day of the procedure.
- Significant weight loss in a short amount of time. If you’re planning to lose significant weight after your hair transplant, this will deplete your body of nutrients and may prevent hairs from growing.